Thursday, December 14, 2006

Subwoofer Optomized

Okay so I think I'm finally done tweaking the subwoofer. The blue line is the unequalized measured response. The pink line is the equalized response. Not sure if it is the ideal house curve, but I like the way it sounds for movies. Haven't done a test for music yet, but I don't expect to listen to music too much in that room.

I'm getting good output below 20hz, whereas before (look at the graph down below), the frequency rolled off below 30hz. And that was with a ton of boost. I actually lowered the gain on most of the frequencies.

Thanks a bunch to ThomasW over at the subwoofer site posted in the links to the right. His help was invaluable. Small detail of a low frequency filter being turned on seriously impacted the bottom end. Amazing what a little dip switch flipped to the wrong side can do.

Now the low end is amazing. The Darla tapping on the glass screen in Finding Nemo is frightening. I can't even imagine what it would feel (note, not sound) like with two more drivers (which is what they first recommended to me). Although I'm thinking of upgrading the drivers sometime next year with ones that have nearly 3 times the displacement... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home